Sunday, April 09, 2006

Ruminations on the Nature of a Blog

Oh, damn. The first thing on my mind today is that I really didn't stop to consider, when I leapt into this, that maintaining a daily (or almost) political blog doesn't leave a lotta room for anything else, like actually leaving the house to buy groceries, or having a life in general. Already my commitment to the cause is suffering, especially, I can see, on weekend evenings.

I have newfound respect for that guy who does The Daily Kos (excellent blog--I highly recommend it) and the Tom Paine Common Sense highly intelligent liberal-leaning screed. The latter is the collaborative effort of actual accredited authorities on things & also a source of great inspiration to me.

I, on the other hand, am a lone snarky voice in the Left Coast wilderness & by the time I get around to reading the East Coast establishment papers, everybody else has had time to chew & digest them when I've only just woken up.

Oh well. That won't stop me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jaraparilla said...

You go, girl!

If you think Left Coast is hard, you should try running a blog from Australia!

I have been doing this for three years now and it has taken up a HELL OF A LOT of time and effort.

Before you go too far with this, I suggest you consider the advantages of collaborating with others on a site like Kos (you can have your own diary, but do you think the Democrats are the solution?), Democratic Underground, Smirking Chimp (comments are collaboration too sometimes), and a whole host of others.

Email me if you want any more free advice! :P

6:18 PM  
Blogger Demon Princess said...

Thanks, Gandhi-dude! I like your handle, & I like Australia (least, I think I do). Never been but I've met a lot of Aussies in my travels, & youse guys in general strike me as down-to-earth & "real."

You're right about a number of things, here, & I'm aware of most of those sites. As barbed humor is my weapon of choice in the war American culture wars (a la Jonathan Swift & re the Brits other historical gadflys) I was also thinking about about applying to become a Junior Poohbah (the Omnipotent Poobah site). I have to admit, Mr. Daily Kos intimidates me somewhat. My strengths, I think, are pithy, snide commentary without a lot of boring detail (I have Sagittarius rising, & you may know, if you've met any Sag's before, they're really fun & funny, philosophical & humanitarian, but not strong on details, follow-through & consistency.) Fortunately, the inner me (Leo) makes up for that lack, so while I read plenty of involved material, my public persona prefers to present the pithiest of news digests delivered with snarky commentary. I'll just continue to stay up late to read & blog, although it does result in some embarrassing spelling gaffes, which dismays my perfectionistic Venus in Virgo, which demands revisions.

The Venus may also explain why I don't think Democrats are the solution--I have really high standards. But their foibles are mild compared to what the GOP has shown us recently. And we in America don't have any viable 3rd or 4th party alternatives. It sucks.

5:31 PM  
Blogger jurassicpork said...

TYell me about it. It's the time constraints (and, ironically, the politics) is what turens me off from political blogging at all.

But if I were to quit, I'd feel like I was betraying many people and my own talent, not to mention the lefty movement.

I appreciate good writing when I find it and this place has good writing.

So, I'll blogroll you, cowgirl.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home