Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Semantic Promiscuousness



yadda yadda yadda blather blather yammer blather yadda yadda yaddah yah


I know, I know.

All five of my loyal readers, including the guyz at the CIA & FBI, have been anxiously awaiting to hear what smart-assed commentary Demon Princess might come up with in the wake of Hapless George's State of the Union address last night. I feel y'all thinking about it. The pressure!

I was not overly enthused, when first alerted that George was about to make his appearance. In fact, I groaned & hissed & spit a little & seriously considered skipping it altogether, so riveting do I find that particular speaker. I really wanted nothing more than to be left alone to work the crossword puzzles that are a favorite way to wind down after work.

Reluctantly I dragged myself & my bad attitude into the room to watch.

Here's what Demon Princess heard:

yadda yadda yadda..."healthcare best left to private market insurers"....yadda yadda...tax cuts.

DP (talking to TV): "So you're so out of touch with the ordinary person you think tax cuts will fix it. How many of the uninsured have steady incomes or even file tax returns? And how does urging people to give up their "expensive" (read decent) health insurance plans for less expensive ones or be taxed help the situation a damned bit?"

blather blather blather energy......"clean-burning coal" ("Isn't that an oxymoron?" DP's thinking about pea-soup fog at this point)..."agriculture-based fuels" (she said, "Ho, now, don't forget that we have to eat some."
...."increase oil reserves..."

yammer yammer yammer yadda

"Give my new plan for Iraq a chance," and especially "Iran." Amazing how those words are being linked together with nary a public discussion of George's perceived problems with Iran...

We're being set up to attack/invade Iran, again..

Truthfully, kids, DP is much more interested in continuing to think about how the public policy discourse has gotten so distorted that we can't even carefully, rationally think about what Bushco continues to dictate to us as a foregone conclusion, & what they don't apparently see any compelling reasons to consult with us or our elected representatives about such momentous decisions as starting World War III. (See "Mr. Belligerent" blog entry below.)

True to form, the very day after yesterday's address, Mr. Belligerent announces that Bush & he are going forward with their surge, damn the torpedoes & nanny nanny nanny at the Democrats who've made noises about cutting off funding in lieu of passing toothless resolutions.

I did like Jim Webb's retort. A lot. Would that all Democrats were not afraid to wrest back the nation's direction, as the voters apparently wish: grow some cajones, people!

All else DP has to offer today is more food for thought about the ways the neocons have changed the public policy discourse so subtly that many people don't even recognize how they've done it. (Article from Slate.com, title bar.)

I say, change it back.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

DP, I had to listen to Hapless George on NPR on my way home from work, (way too dedicated) besides the yadda and blather I rather enjoyed not seeing his smirk. I also found myself talking to the radio when he started talking about health care, the man hasn't a clue, which I'm sure is the result of his aristocratic heritage. Least I didn't have to deal with the families incredulous looks i.e. Dad's talking to the TV again.
With the entire congress running for President, I'm hard pressed to imagine much light in the tunnel, although Jim Webb provided a glimmer.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Demon Princess said...

Hey Pat,

Grand idea, listening on the radio, instead of subjecting oneself to the visceral reaction that I, anyway, get from watching Geo. on TV, which is something being trapped in a room with some ogre raking fingernails against a blackboard. That smirk, & that voice--Gawd, do I have to witness it? Is he REALLY the President?

...I shudder to think all over again.

P.S. We should form a self-help group for people who can't help talking back to insensate objects, Pat. It's going to be a long 2 years...

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He addressed healthcare, which was nice. But apparently he forgot how tax cuts work. Giving the poorest Americans tax cuts for their healthcare doesn't work. Why? Because they aren't paying taxes. They have no money.

But let's even pretend that they did pay taxes (ie, there are no deductions - whatever % you pay, you pay). What would their tax break be. 1%? 3%? If you earn 20,000 dollars and take $0 in deductions, you pay 2,103 dollars in taxes. Give them even a 10% deduction and they save a whopping 210 dollars. Wow. Totally solves the problem of the 2,000 dollars spent on healthcare that year. Woo. Thank you Bush.

2:58 PM  
Blogger Demon Princess said...

Haha! Good points all. The NYT also had a great article yesterday pointing out other hairy scary aspects of the Bush-out-of-touch with reality healthcare deduction plan.

I've been meaning to post it as a follow-up, soon.

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home